Re: STAR WARS THREAD!!

Post by Tylderon »

hf-mush.jpg
hf-mush.jpg (57.34 KiB) Viewed 7375 times
Grandor Dragon

Re: STAR WARS THREAD!!

Post by Grandor Dragon »

My personal view:

The Force Awakens: I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the pacing and pretty much all the characters.

The Last Jedi: A flawed masterpiece. It introduced a lot of ideas, and the characters worked for me. I think it was trying to do a bit much towards the end. Also, Rey didn't have that incredible spark that was so enjoyable in the first film. I loved Luke in this.

The Rise of Skywalker: A huge disappointment at a story level, though I can enjoy the Star-Warsiness of it. Abrams knows how to direct these.

So have been saying that The Last Jedi left the trilogy in a position which made a sequel difficult. I completely disagree. I was looking forward to a conflict between heritage and a "nobody", the Resistance working with the little that was left, and the First Order being led by Kylo Ren.

Rogue One: The first time I was bored during a Star Wars film. But overall, it was enjoyable. I think that the ending broke the beginning of Episode 4? After Rogue One, Vader, after boarding the rebel ship, should have said: "A diplomatic mission? Are you kidding me? I just saw your ship leave the Death Star plan planet!"

Solo: Worst Star Wars film by far. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

The Mandelorian: Very watchable, but mediocre. At least it's aiming low.

Still loving Star Wars!
Tylderon

Let's do this!

Post by Tylderon »

The Force Awakens: 100% agreed. It plays too safe with the formula, but that works for it, not against it. It's the quintessential SW film and, as you said, JJ has the hang of it.

The Last Jedi: One of the best SW films for me, even with its (minor) flaws to me. Any SW movie that tries to break new ground, still looking AMAZING as it did, also being bold and having the balls to attempt to do what it was aiming at, crap... will be a great SW movie for me. And, sorry, Proggy, I still love Holdo's Maneuver. Trying to criticize its physics by now is waaaayyy beyond the point.

About it making a sequel *hard* to make: I share your opinion, Grandy. It does make for a hard FORMULAIC sequel, which is what a ton of people were expecting / demanding. Have you looked at the (supposed) Duel of Fates script treatment? Drat. It seems pretty damn good.

The Rise of Skywalker: a sequel that chickened out. It's all I can say. The only thing that didn't make me really think it's crap it's because, as you said, it's visually stunning, quite entertaining and the nostalgia was turned up to 11 when it became clear that the story wouldn't do it. It's tough seeing so many reversals and what sell-outs they were. It deserves its own thread (I'm not kidding). A few choices were simply atrocious. It's unfortunately part of our current cultural reality though, which sucks terribly.

Now on to a few disagreements:

Rogue One: I really love this movie. It was a nice breather off the usual formula (for me). Let's rewrite your Darth Vader speech though. His reply should be: "WAT????"

Solo: I lov-HAH no way, it sucks.
The Mandelorian:
Nah, let's go full vowel-changy here and try The Mendelorian, a show about a genetic engineer trying to influence the midichlorians into -HEAD ASPLODED BY A BLASTER