[Book] A Discussion on the Ethics of Magic by Echoazar of Moonglow

Player created stories and roleplay; please be respectful
Valonia

[Book] A Discussion on the Ethics of Magic by Echoazar of Moonglow

Post by Valonia »

A Discussion on the Ethics of Magic
by Echoazar of Moonglow

“Magic is more than another sword, or a shovel... it is the pursuit of understanding on a total level.” – Arycellian of Britain

Magical energy is inherently neutral. What is it, then, that colors the energy and changes it from a neutral force into an ethical or an unethical action? The answer, of course, is intent. The intent of the user giveth energy, whether mundane or magical, a positive or negative connotation when considered against the social standards of the culture.

I believe that most people know when they art out of line and should heed their inner wisdom. Sometimes, however, we get caught up in excessive, explosive emotions and allow that force to control our ethical compass rather than that inner, wise voice. But to achieve the strongest magical flow, we must have our true intention completely in line with our magical actions.

I present for thine consideration the two Great Commandments of magical ethics:

1) Know thyself
2) Do not willfully intend to inflict harm

Of the former, people oft work hard to convince themselves that a magical work is ethical they know is not. To use energy magic in an ethical fashion, we must set ego aside and look within for the true greatest good. To be ethically strong, we must own our authentic wishes and intentions when we enact a magical work. To achieve the strongest magical flow, we must have our true intentions completely in line with our magical actions.

Owning our emotions and intentions and maintaining accountability for our magical actions are key components to acting as a responsible magical practitioner. We can fool ourselves and can possibly even fool other people, but we cannot fool The Universe.

Of the latter, we knowest if the energy we send out into the world is good or baneful, and all beings art connected. The actions we cause return back to us as consequences. We are responsible for the actions we choose and must stay accountable. What thou doest comes back, at least in equal portion. If we consider a potentially harmful action, we must ask ourselves, “Is it worth the return?”

Just as when thou invokest justice, you yourself must be beyond reproach, so too when thou directest magical energy toward a goal, thou must be clear with thineself on what thou art doing and why before putting thine full force of Will into it. But if thy intention is pure and in no way baneful, thy outcome will likely be positive.
ImageTeam Druid aka The Justice LeagueImage
----
🔥 Fire Mage Fanciers Guild - You had me at "I cast fireball!"🔥
----
☥ 0-Part Avatars Club ☥
1 of 8 Shrines visited