[Open RP] The Blue Boar - Britain

Player created stories and roleplay; please be respectful
Valonia

Re: [Open RP] The Blue Boar - Britain

Post by Valonia »

Val just blinked at the other woman for a moment. "Broke it? How?"

Swords did get broken, of course. But what was this woman hitting that she had broken a sword?
ImageTeam Druid aka The Justice LeagueImage
----
🔥 Fire Mage Fanciers Guild - You had me at "I cast fireball!"🔥
----
☥ 0-Part Avatars Club ☥
1 of 8 Shrines visited
Trithemius

REL YLEM FLAM OOPS

Post by Trithemius »

Embarrassment transforms Siva's poised expression instantly.
"I was attempting an experiment with magery. I thought I might be able to improve it through impromptu enhancement but I instead quite thoroughly destroyed it and made a reasonable amount of noise and fuss doing so."

"Magery is a wonderful tool but getting a spell to work as intended does take a lot of refinement. Apparently."

Siva pauses to take another drink. Ale is a form of punctuation apparently.

"Potentially distressing performance precedents aside, I wonder if magery might help us with this problem. If we are able to locate some lizardfolk there is a spell of translation that might work well work. It was originally designed for use on texts but there have been efforts to establish a version for use on living creatures in the Lyceum's canon of spells."

Siva traces the outline of the runic shapes of the spell on the tabletop invisibly, perhaps as an aid to concentration.

"Assuming we can find some lizardfolk willing to speak near us of course."
--
Trithemius|
Siva the Younger (a magely and somewhat serious druid)
Valonia

If we're not burning, we're not learning!

Post by Valonia »

"Wait. You... exploded your sword?" Valonia blinked a couple more times. "Could you replicate that? Is it something you may be able to do on another target, or something you could teach to oth-... no, no, nevermind."

She pinched the bridge of her nose, closed her eyes, and let out a long sigh.

"Look, you do not have to answer that. I need to not think of such things."

She took a deep breath, then released it. Calm, cleansing thoughts.

She liked to think she had come a long way, but it was probably not a good sign that her immediate thought was to explode the weapons of others, rendering confusion and possible injury. As glorious as explosions would be, Valonia was trying to help people now. Not terrorize them. And even enemies should be afforded a certain level of courtesy. Not have their own weapons turned on them, causing a degree of damage that would certainly not be Just or fair...

...even if such a spell would seem to be very useful. Well. Useful for someone who could manage such things, of course. She had not put much time or energy into researching the magical arts, and she certainly should not try to if the only things that excited her about it were raw destructive applications of power. She really did want to help people, after all. And limiting her ability and access to ways of destroying them seemed a practical solution.

Besides. The woman was just telling a story. What kind of person was Val, taking a seemingly innocent mistake and trying to weaponize it??

"That said. It seems an interesting experiment," Val began again, trying not to seem mentally unbalanced. "And it does seem like magical arts would aid us here. I admit I have been somewhat skeptical about the magical arts, but this is clearly a matter of magic being able to do something a more mundane method could not. It definitely serves a practical purpose."
----
----
☥ 0-Part Avatars Club ☥
1 of 8 Shrines visited
Trithemius

Human factors?

Post by Trithemius »

"Magery is a good tool. But there are other tools too. We should probably not overlook the human factors in this too."
Siva finishes her tankard.

"You seemed uncertain about the role of the merchants in all of this. Skeptical even about the reality of their accounts. Do you suspect that this might be something more solidly within Druidical jurisdiction?"
--
Trithemius|
Valonia

People are the problem. People are always the problem.

Post by Valonia »

"I do not have any strong suspicions exactly... Still, let us say I am well aware that people can be flawed," she said plainly. "It is possible that the merchants were drunk. Or that their interpretations of events were innocently mistaken. It is also possible that others are robbing the roads for their own benefit, masking their activities by wearing the literal masks of beasts and mythical creatures. It is also just as likely that these merchants have been lying about the loss of their goods in order to receive unwarranted compensation."

She shrugged.

"I am not sure whether lies would make the situation better or worse. Still, if people were lying for their own benefit, it would make for a simpler problem rather than trying to problem-solve an ancient race of sapient beings rising from the Underworld."
----
----
☥ 0-Part Avatars Club ☥
1 of 8 Shrines visited
Trithemius

Post by Trithemius »

"Much as it would be more interesting I think you have a point. Greed and deception seems the more reasonable explanation."

Siva adopts a serious look.

"We should keep open minds and hearts though - even if it is less interesting to interview carters and haulers than mysterious lizardfolk."
The cloaked druid tapped her empty tankard. "I'm spent, so shall we find our first interview candidates? If we take our time in the market I might be able to find a good replacement sword too."
--
Trithemius|
Valonia

Post by Valonia »

Val looked at her finished meal, then back to her companion. It seemed natural that the woman would join her in her task, and Val didn’t even consider questioning it.

“Sounds good to me,” she answered. “Besides. I imagine carters and haulers are much easier to understand than lizardfolk.”
----
----
☥ 0-Part Avatars Club ☥
1 of 8 Shrines visited